We are here again with a new article on Install Kodi on Roku 4/3/2/1 Guide Kodi Roku. Roku is USA based company in California. It produces streaming gadgets which get the sources from the internet and streams them to your Smart TV. This company also have their own smart TV product and it is called “Roku TV”.
Roku was first released in 2008. After that, there have been different variants of Roku that were released progressively. The latest generation variants of Roku are Roku Premier, Roku Ultra, Roku Express, and Roku Streaming Stick. You can also use Kodi for Roku using the guide in this post.
You can install Kodi on Roku, it will increase the streaming experience of the users by many folds. For the process to install Kodi on Roku, you have to go through the next section of this article.
Install Kodi on Roku
Kodi for Roku is available and it can be installed by few processes. Before we start the download and installation process, we should ensure that the – Does Roku 4/3/2/1 generation allow streaming from the internet? So, the answer is, only Roku 4/3/2 supports the screening and you won’t be able to run Kodi on Roku 1.
Check out how to get Kodi for Windows
There are some requirements and are a must to follow in order to use Kodi for Roku. The user must use the virtual private network (VPN), which keeps your streaming content in private environment. Here is the link to download VPN client for – Windows and Android.
- The main formula to Use Kodi on Roku is “Screen Mirroring”. The term Screen mirroring replicates the whole screen and streams it to the TV. In other words, it helps the user to watch video on Smartphone/PC and TV at the same time.
- Make ensure that Roku 4/3/2 (any of it) and your device are both connected to the same WiFi network.
- You can use an Android smartphone or Windows device. Note that Screen mirroring will not work with iPhone devices.
Now, enable Screen Mirroring on your Roku device. Follow the next steps to do so.
- On your Roku’s remote, press the home button.
- Now, select Settings.
- Then find System from the menu.
- There you will see the “Screen mirroring” Tab which you will have to select.
Similarly, we have to enable the Screen mirroring on the device(Windows or Android) which we use for Kodi on Roku.
- For Android – Almost all devices support the feature “Screen mirroring”. The only problem for this is that every smartphone manufacturer has a different name and location for this feature.
- Their different names as per different manufacturers are Smart View, SmartShare, Quick Connect, Wireless display, AllShare Cast, Screencasting, Display mirroring, HTC Connect, and Cast, etc.
- You can directly turn ON that option while playing video on any media player on your smartphone.
- Example, when you use YouTube App on your smartphone, there will be casting tab on the right top of the screen. That will directly cast your screen to another device connected to the same network as yours.
- For Windows – The first step you need follow is to turn on the feature of screen mirroring on Windows. For that, we’ll have to add a wireless display.
- Swipe from the right side of screen edge, and then select on devices.
- Now, Select the project, and tap on “Add a Wireless display”.
- Choose the option of the Roku device display, which is smart TV, then follow the basic instructions on the same screen to complete the adding of Roku display.
- Finally, swipe from the right side of the screen edge > devices > select Project > lastly tap on your Roku display.
These were the simple steps which you can easily carry out to use Kodi on Roku. You can use either Android or Windows for the method which are both easy and work perfectly.
To download and install the Kodi on your device follow further.
- For both the devices, you can search Kodi for Roku on Play store for Android OS and Microsoft App store for Windows device. You can even refer these links – Android and Windows
- You can even get it from the Official web address – Official Download portal. This link will have the download links for both devices.
- After the download, you have to install it. Then launch the app and while you play any of your favorite videos on Kodi, you can simply click on the casting tab.
- This will ask you to choose screen to display. Then select the Roku device display (Note: both devices should connect to the same WiFi network).
- This will start the stream on the TV using the Screen Mirroring feature of Roku.
At last, there are some drawbacks, that is the mode “Play on Roku” does not work with the Kodi on Roku. This mode can be played by only the Roku smartphone App. This mode is used for setting up slideshows pictures and play videos or music files that you already have on your device storage.
Is Roku better than Chromecast?
This question can be up for debate and it can possibly never end. As they say, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. And opinions differ largely in some cases. However, we have highlighted some of the best features of both devices.
Latest version: Kodi 17 Krypton
- The Google Chromecast device is cheaper and more user-friendly than Roku device.
- The big advantage of Chromecast with Android smartphone owners is that user can use the Kodi on Chromecast without casting your whole screen.
- But the Roku device is also best at what it does, even if its harder to set up Kodi for Roku than Chromecast.
- Both the device consume more power and may drain your battery or else it will make you connect to a charger continuously.
At last, the Roku and Chromecast both are good in their own aspects. They both have similar functions, the difference between them is that they differ in functions and what we have said earlier in this section.
This brings us to the end of the article on Install Kodi on Roku 4/3/2/1 Guide Kodi Roku. We have discussed the streaming methods and also compared the two streaming devices. If you think you need more assistance on the topic, then you can get in touch with us at Kodi on Roku guide.